Saturday, April 27, 2024

My Summer Uniform, a plan

Now that my sewing output is more varied, encompassing a casual jacket or two along with the usual skirts and dresses, a plan for a standard "outfit" has come together.  (According to some, this is called a capsule wardrobe formula.) It's true, my idea is to formulate a plan for a summer wardrobe.  This plan has three pieces:  a skirt (or pants), a t-shirt, and an overshirt (or jacket, or sweater, or vest).  Adding the third piece, the overshirt, will provide a little cover, both for occasional cool temperatures and to dress up my usual casual attire.  It will take a lot of sewing, but if I work with what I have and stay on goal, it should be successful.

The idea came with my most recently sewn item, a simple gathered skirt with pockets.  The inspiration came from the fabric, a luxurious linen from Taos Adobe.  This skirt was my big sewing success, quick and easy to sew, comfortable to wear and easy to use (the pockets).  The pattern was the Pocket Skirt, a Paper Theory pattern available online from Peppermint Magazine.   The fabric was 2 yards of black linen with a total price of $26.00.  It was a lightweight, sheer linen that needed a lining (100% cotton broadcloth from Hobby Lobby, $11).  The skirt is not fully lined.  The lining was cut at the end of the side top piece, making it end at my knee.  The linen skirt is almost another 10" longer after hemming and provides a satisfying swish around my calves.  

After all 4 seams were sewn and the edges serged, the lining was serged to the skirt at the top edge.  Then the lining and skirt were stitched together along the fold line.  Finally, the band was folded over and topstitched down through the serged stitching.  The pockets are the right height.  This skirt took the full 2 yards, with maybe 1/4 yard leftover.  It is a successful toile that will be repeated. There's 4 yards of cotton voile in my stash that might be enough make a skirt and a shirt.

No comments: