Saturday, June 25, 2022

Harvest Top and Alberta Skirt

Now that hot weather is here, the knit fabrics are packed away and wovens are back out. The change is a welcome relief. As comfortable and easy to fit as knits are, they are more difficult to handle, even with all the modern tools to help manage the stretch. Woven fabrics are much easier to cut. The sewing goes faster, without the need for a walking foot or zig-zag stitches.

The transition sparked the addition of new fabrics and patterns, providing a reason to write about these new makes. However, with easy successes, there is no longer a need for detailed notes on each project. I think, I hope, I can now replicate these garments by just following the simple steps as I remember them.

The first woven item was the promised third version of the Alberta Street Skirt, in a stretch cotton twill, 1 3/4 yards of black stretch denim that looks dark blue (52" wide, 98% cotton, 2% spandex, made in China, HL $17.83). The size 12 was a good fit, just needing an additional 1/4" at the top of the yoke-style waistband. That meant a 3/8" seam at each side instead of 5/8". There were no modifications to the pattern since I have found the reversed-angle pockets more comfortable as I have gotten used to them. This version was so easy and is a comfortable, flattering and basic addition to my closet. Folliowing it with a jeans-like version in a stretch denim with contrast top stitching is a possiblity.

PDF patterns have challenged my comfort level as well, but finding a printer who can handle the large size prints has helped. Still, it doesn't take too long to tape together the letter-size prints, which are the cheapest option. The Harvest (or Boxy) Top by Project Runway for Peppermint Magazine worked out perfectly for a mere yard of fabric I received by mistake in an on line order. Even though it requires nearly two yards, a size 40, shortened by a couple of inches and with the middle sections cut crosswise, fit on the fabric because I used a cotton/poly blend for the facings. The fashion fabric is a nice cotton/poly voile stripe in black and earth tones that I purchased from Fabric Mart.
There were buttons in the button box, purchased for a sweater but never used because I found ones I like better for the sweater.
I worried that the buttons in the back might be uncomfortable when I am sitting, but so far they have not bothered me. I found the pattern easy to construct, but I did change the attachment of the bottom band by enclosing the seam within it. Otherwise it was all according to the instructions.