Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Simply Useful Knitting

There's all of summer stretching before me.  Based on recent history, you can bet my plans don't included blogging.  My report for the year thus far can be summed in one word: simplicity.


I've found that I will get more wear out of the simpler knits.  Too bad, because complex and colorful certainly make for more entertaining knitting to me.  In spite of planning to be more practical in my choices of pattern and color, I've still snuck in some excitement.  To the rather plain cardigan above, I added a scarf that can be buttoned on.  The concept came from the pattern, Definitely Susan.  The actual pattern I used was Post Grad.  I'm currently knitting Definitely Susan. It's another plain raglan.  The excitement comes as I replace the lace patterned scarf in the pattern with a two-color chevron scarf, from the now-classic book, Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. 


Last month, I finished the pullover in the photo above, Lilian.  In monochromatic Zara, with a few cables, it meets my requirement for simplicity.  At the same time, the modern styling, with dolman sleeves and loose-fitting body, along with the unusual construction, provided knitting excitement.


I've balanced the blandness of my sweater projects by attempting to knit up my variegated sock yarn. It seems that variegated yarn has finally declined in popularity. Self-striping and semi-solid yarns are currently the rage. The socks shown above are those I've knit so far this year. If I can keep up the pace, I'll have significantly reduced my stash of out-of-fashion sock yarn while increasing my sock wardrobe.



Finally, I produced a largish swatch for a future sweater project. The shawl above, in the Camilla pattern, uses a stitch pattern in its edging that I plan to use in a cardigan. The inspiration for the sweater will be the Viften pattern, but I will update it somehow.  All the sock projects can be found in my Ravelry projects.  For the sweater details, follow the highlighted links in the text.

No comments: