Sometime mid-December I decided to finish off some lingering projects, like these socks I started in November:
Although I know by now that often the yarn in the ball doesn't deliver on its promises, I had hoped this one would be a little different. Apparently, it is radically different. Once it was obvious that the spots were pooling into wavy lines, I was glad I had bought the dark brown tweed to break it up a bit. I reasoned that the Regia Tweed, being a 6-ply, would make a thicker, more durable heel. I ignored the pooling in the first sock, wasn't surprised that it changed after the gusset, but can't explain why it suddenly stopped in the leg of the second sock (the one in front). I didn't change the stitch count or needle size. Maybe all my wishing it away worked?
Regardless of the off-on pooling, the yarn is quite soft and made very comfortable socks. Thank goodness, since there is enough of the Ty-Dy Socks Dots left to make another pair.
Another lingering project was a pair of Hot Waves socks from the Joy of Sox. This is a nice pattern, apart from the afterthought heel (which leaves holes at the corners) and the misshapen toe.
I wouldn't hesitate to knit the pattern again, even though toe-up is not my favorite sock method. It would be worth it just for the fun stripes and the bit of fair-isle, not so much it slows one down, just enough to keep it interesting. It would be simple enough to begin the toe with something other than that rectangle. The after-thought heel would have to be repeated--it makes such a nice striped pattern. I managed this pair out of stash yarn, a hand-dyed main color supplemented with some solid Kroy and a nameless white I picked up for contrast.
Finally, I finished an Icarus using Elsa woolen-spun natural fingering weight Cormo. Gosh, this is lovely yarn and a beautifully simple design. I have been wearing so obsessively that I hated to take it off to photograph it.
I should have modeled it, but I was too lazy to bother to set up the tripod and the remote. Besides, the afternoon light was fading rapidly. It is best to spread it out, anyway, to show how huge it is.
At 36" deep and over 80" wide, this must be the largest shawl I've ever knit. In spite of its size, it is easy to wear, due to the lightness of the woolen-spun laceweight.
I'm glad to end this year on a positive knitting note. There's been much to distract me from knitting that I'm looking forward to next year. In case I don't get to post my knitting resolutions, I hope everyone enjoys a Happy New Year!
More project info on my Ravelry page.