Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Easy to knit, hard to picture

That obsession with a red shawl is now over for me. There's nothing like satisfying a craving, like having a brownie when you are really hungry for chocolate. With knitting, satisfying the craving takes a lot longer, even if one had to bake the brownies. At least the satisfaction isn't tempered with guilt about excess calories. It's all good.


Size: 64" wingspan and 30" deep
Yarn: Ella Rae Lace Merino Worsted
Needles: Size 6 Addi Naturas
Pattern: Falling Water
Mods:  2 repeats of Chart A, all 32 rows.
Knitter:  Soooo happy that it fits and falls just where it should.  The weight is perfect, the yarn is luscious. In a worsted weight yarn, the extra repeat would have made the shawl too big for me.  Since this yarn is light for worsted, it knit up a bit smaller than worsted.


The only thing I can't get right is the color in these photos.  The strange shot below is nearly it.  I guess clothespining a piece of notepaper under the knitting is the only way to make my camera record a deep red.  (I mean, I really tried. I changed exposures, light balance, all sorts of settings and worked from the RAW file.  Red is harder to shoot than green!)


Never mind, it is red.  Craving satisfied!

2 comments:

Julie said...

it's beautiful! that red is gorgeus.

Marjorie said...

That is very pretty, and the color (which looks like a lovely deep red on my monitor) is enchanting. I understand from reading opinions of other photographers that photographing red is a real challenge. I seem to have more trouble with green.