Sunday, February 5, 2012

Knitting Less

As other projects increasing demand more of my time and attention, I am turning to simpler projects to knit, something I can knit when I'm distracted, when I'm tired, when I'm looking for something soothing and satisfying. Ironically, the boring parts of projects, the bits I struggled through before, are now appealing. I only just realized how much I am avoiding the difficult knitting I used to crave. Last month, I knit eight inches of 2x2 ribbing on size 3 needles for a beret, only to put the project aside after 5 rounds of the long-awaited lace pattern. Who needs a beret in the spring?, I reasoned. The day before yesterday, I began a complicated lace border for a relatively simple shawl. I was pretty excited when I found the pattern for the edging. I thought the leaves would complement the central leaf design of the shawl.



Upon finding I was a stitch short in the third row, I put it aside. Today, after three attempts, I managed to complete 14 rows correctly, but I don't like what I see. I think a simpler edging will do. I'd like to finish this one off and put it away. It's too bad, really, because the yarn is great (Malabrigo lace) and the pattern is pretty (Dottie). I clearly remember craving this color when I bought the yarn, but I can't work up any enthusiasm for it now.

On the other hand, I am really enthusiastic about a simple dish towel I completed with leftover dishcloth cotton.


All it took was one look at the stitch pattern and a rummage through my bin of cotton scraps to have me happily knitting away on it. My earlier towels all look a bit ratty, anyway. That's reason enough to send me rummaging again.


This time it's a rough copy of the Nina shawl from Mason Dixon Knitting. So, although I've got sweater ideas running around in my head, I'm swatching laceweight on size 4 needles, and I'm counting my available sock yarn (enough for 50 pairs!), all I'm knitting is dish towels.

No apologies for that, though. I've got a lot else going on and my knitting, for this year at least, will be a refuge and not a trial.

2 comments:

Nanette said...

I'm the same way. Sometimes I like the complicated stuff and sometimes I just feel like knitting a boring old plain sock. I really want to do one of those Mason-Dixon blankets in some organic cotton.

Wool Winder said...

Simple isn't automatically synonymous with boring and I think you are proving that with your dishcloth designs. Very pretty!