Sunday, November 20, 2011

Double knit sock heels done


When I knit the second sock in the pair with double-knit heels, I knew I was facing an intricate and time-consuming heel. Once I had slogged through the plain leg, however, I was happy to concentrate on the heel, improving it with a couple of simple mods, using a smaller needle to tighten up the stitches and cutting out the too-dark blue bit in the striped yarn. It was all to the good.

I am happy enough with this double knit heel that I can recommend it. ETA:  I have written the pattern for double-knit heels

Once I saw that these sock heels lasted longer, I knit another pair. Now the pattern is refined and published. Check out the details on my pattern announcement or on Ravelry.


Or purchase it here:
Once these engrossing socks were completed, I should have turned my attention to my other knitting projects. Unfortunately for them, I decided I needed quick satisfaction, in the form of a dishcloth.

This is the second garter stitch dishcloth with edging I've completed. I find them so useful and gratifying that I'm turning my old lacy ones into dust rags. Though I was quite tempted to start another, I resisted the lure of the easy knit and turned to one that is just the opposite. On request, I'm attempting a pattern that no one else on Ravelry has tried. Or, perhaps they have tried, failed and not bothered to post about it. While that strategy is looking more appealing to me, I haven't given up yet.

These are or rather, they will be once they are finished, boot-type slippers, complete with suede soles. They are made by first knitting a toe-up sock, using a heel flap and short row construction that was a struggle for me. Since I couldn't produce a sock that fit by following the directions, I had to rip it out and modify the heel by shortening the heel flap. The sock is the liner. It is covered by an outer layer that is knit flat. The spots are intarsia. After the leg is complete, the foot is knit with no shaping for the heel and minimal shaping for the toe. It fits as well as the fabric stretches.

Rather than trust the pattern (me?), I tried adding a heel flap to the outer layer. This modification complicated the project even more and didn't improve the fit. I am considering a slightly different approach on the second slipper, but that would mean that I'd have to rip out the first one and knit it to match. There's enough that I don't like in this project--socks knit flat, heel flaps in a toe-up sock, intarsia--that the thought knitting it a third time is discouraging. The one bright spot is that the boot seems to fit if I wear it over a thick sock. Since the person who started all this, by talking me into the project and helping me pick the yarn for it, has larger calves than I do, it is possible that these may fit her without further modifications.

I'm much more satisfied with another project, my Equinox sweater. I've finished both sleeves and begun the body.

I am really happy with the look of the turned hem. Now I have several inches of plain stockinette to knit, as long as the yarn holds out. To compensate for the boredom of a plain stockinette sweater, I have started my chevron sock--the cuff-down version.

The colors here are a little washed out.

It is very pretty and very much fun in real life. However, I haven't worked on it in a couple of days, mostly because I can't decide if I want to stick with the green yarn or go back to the blue at this point.

My original post about Chevron Socks can be found with this link.

Here's my Ravelry project page for the socks with double-knit heels.

and, the one for my other dishcloth.

1 comment:

CanarySanctuary said...

Wow, those socks are amazing! I love them!