Monday, March 7, 2011

Knitting two and a half shawls

This tale begins with detail

The tail, in fact, of a triangular gray shawl. The pattern, the Domovoi Shawl from Folk Shawls, intended for the shawl to be a rectangle. My yarn shortage limited it to a triangle. A little bit of math helped me morph the shape of the Wool Peddler's Shawl, also from Folk Shawls, with the pattern and edging from Domovoi. The result looks like Domovoi and wears like Wool Peddler.

A few years ago, I had no idea how to wear a triangular shawl. Now I have no idea how to do without one. If there's even just a hint of a chill, I wrap one around my shoulders while I have my morning coffee. In the photo above, I was dressed to go out to lunch on a warmish spring day, anticipating a drafty restaurant. I was well prepared.

Even though it's larger that I need, it's so light that I find it easier to wear than a smaller shawl. I just scrunch it up around my neck if I want it shorter.

This shawl took less than four balls of Rowan Kid Classic yarn, knit on size 10 1/2 needles to open up the garter stitch. I found that my Honey Shawl, another garter stitch shawl I knit, quickly reverted to its original close-lying rows of garter ridges, even though I blocked it to open up the ridges. I hope that the larger needles will mean that these ridges will stay open.

As soon as I finished this one, I cast on for yet another garter stitch triangular shawl. Even though I most often wear these shawls at home, I still want them to coordinate with my attire. I'd like to have at least four "at home" shawls. My next post will be up soon and will cover the other completed shawl and one that's halfway done.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

RosalĂ­a said...

Wouau!! Really pretty!