In honor of my actually finishing the sweater I've been knitting for over three months, I took these crazy photos.
The knitting was a bit extreme, at least for me with my limited experience in complex cabling. The cable patterns are fairly simple. I eventually memorized all but one of them. The difficult part was that the repeats for each were different. I had to keep three stitch counters going to keep my place. The only one that I couldn't memorize was the one I like the best, the stockinette cables on the side.
I came across it while leafing through an old issue of Vogue Knitting. (Winter 05/06) Even though it was March in Colorado, it was still so cold that the idea of knitting this sweater was very appealing. I didn't have the right weight yarn. I didn't have enough of the yarn I wanted to use. Ignoring the obvious, I began to knit.
The knitting took even longer than I thought it would. Knitting according to pattern would make it a 36" long sweater. Since 36" would have made it more of a sweater coat on me, I shortened it to 28". That should have made it a shorter project, but I had to cast on a good deal more stitches to compensate for a smaller gauge. Then, thanks to a fellow Raveler who started this pattern at about the same time I did, I learned that the cables in the back should be mirrored. I had knit several inches of the back before this revelation reached me. I postponed the painful ripping out and reknitting until the last, then put the entire project on hold for three weeks while we went to Eureka Springs in May. By then, it was getting too big for a travel project.
I finished the sweater in June and took about a week to sew it all together.
The pattern, called simply #09 Cabled Cardigan, is by Norah Gaughan, showing her versatility. The sweaters she's designed in the past few years are marvels of ingenius shapes. There's not much shaping in this design, just beautiful cabling. The yarn is Arucania Nature Wool. It's a kettle-dyed slightly rustic wool, without dyelots or any way of matching skeins. I sorted my hanks a bit, trying to avoid obvious lines when I changed them, but I didn't try to match the pieces. The sleeves match neither the back nor the fronts; they don't even match each other. I used the most darkly mottled hanks in the back, where the color changes would be a little less noticeable.
The only modifications I made were to compensate for a vastly different gauge. There's enough stitches in this sweater for the 58" size, but it is only 42" wide.