Sunday, June 20, 2010

Socks Revived Contest

Elinor, who blogs at Exercise Before Knitting, announced a sock design contest this spring. Since the entry period ended last month, I've been admiring the ones I could find on Ravelry. I had hesitated to enter my sock pattern, but finally did, figuring it wouldn't hurt to be listed as one of the entries. I was glad I did, since Elinor took the trouble to post photos of all 53 designs.

You can see them all on her blog. Her latest post announced the winners. I was stunned to find that mine won second place. And great prizes! As thrilled as I am about that, I'm equally happy to see all these beautiful socks.

If they don't inspire sock-knitting, I don't know what will. Thanks, Elinor!

I've been inspired to try a variation on my Burning Stripes pattern, simply changing the width of the stripes.


It was very easy, since the contrasting seam stitch allows the yarn not in use to be carried over any width stripe.


I'm not totally satisfied with the result, since it doesn't have enough color variation for my taste. This particular ball of the Stonewashed colorway of Zauberball just went from dark blue to light blue and back again. So far, that is. I'm not sure what is hiding in the heart of the ball. To forestall an unexpected surprise and avoid a mis-matched sock, I'm going to hold off on knitting the second sock until I rewind the ball and find a section that will match this one. The white is a plain ivory sock yarn that knits to the same gauge as the Zauberball.

What? Still here? Hop on over to Exercise Before Knitting and drool over the socks.

5 comments:

LEO said...

Congratulations!! I eye the zauberballs every time I'm at my LYS and I absolutely love your pattern - it's a total win-win combination. I picked up your pattern a few weeks ago and I'm totally itching to pick up some yarn and cast on!

vlb5757 said...

Congratulation to you and your lovely socks. I have yet mastered matching socks but someday I will have the patience to do them. I checked out your prize bowl. Looks like you hit the jackpot. Thanks for the link to check out all the socks. So wonderful! I just love sock knitting!

Wool Winder said...

Congratulations! I'm not surprised you did so well in the contest. The sock you designed is a winner.

Marjorie said...

That is great about the sock win. It is a wonderful pattern, and I'm glad it was recognized. I can just imagine the hundreds of knitters at fiber fairs and festivals sporting those socks!

The new stripe motif is very attractive.

Monika said...

Congratulations! I like you variation on your burning stripes sock!