Sunday, June 13, 2010

One way only

I recently visited northern Arkansas, home to a species that made me cry "What was that?" when I first saw one.


How foolish, really. It is obviously a deer. My confusion was due my recent and continual exposure to the ones around my home in Colorado. Above is a whitetail deer, a dainty, small-eared pest unfortunately found in yards throughout the eastern U.S. I know that the homeowners there often complain about the damage done to bushes, trees and flowers by these deer. I'd trade with them anyday.


THIS is what I have to pester me. Mule deer are twice as big, twice as hungry, and not at all dainty. I'd complain, but my regular readers know that I enjoy watching them, even if they do eat my flowers. I'm still a bit staggered by the difference in size. It's like lawnmowers instead of weedeaters or like the flu instead of a cold.

ETA:  There's a jump here, but I've kept this part of the post up primarily because I think the ferry has been discontinued due to budget cuts.  Sad.

-The old story----

Several years ago, on another road trip, what I thought was a short-cut brought me to a different type of river crossing. Here's my photos and story from that time, lifted from my old journal.
Knitting was difficult with all the bumps in the road--Hwy 124 is so patched, the patches have patches. It follows the Ouachita River, or Bushy Bayou, Branch or something like that. Not heavily settled. It seemed like a short cut, but we kept seeing signs for the ferry. The Duty-Enterprise Ferry. Yes, if one travels between Duty and Enterprise, one must take the ferry. Well, actually, it’s not that poetic. It’s just another way to get from Duty, La. to Monroe, La. Enterprise is another small community along the way.


Yes, we actually drove onto that little barge.

I was snapping pictures the whole way, which prompted the ferry man to ask “Ya’ll not from around heah, are yuh? We told him where we lived. After I took a few more pix, he wanted to know “Have you been on a ferry before? Do they have ferrys down there?” I assured him that they do, and that they are big ferrys. He recalled his ride on one of the many ferries that cross the lower Mississippi River, then mused a bit, watching the river go by. His ferry doesn't go very fast. Then he said, “Those big ferrys have a lot of rules. We don’t have any rules, we just go when we get a car.” Ferry man humor.

Actually, it's really the only rule I need.


Posted by Picasa


4 comments:

Kristen said...

I love your ferry story, and the ferryman too.

Wool Winder said...

Your bridge phobia reminds me of how as a child, I was terrified of draw bridges. I was afraid the bridge would lift while we were driving over it. I'd kind of forgotten that until now.

vlb5757 said...

I don't like a certain bridge in Delaware. When we drive to NY and go over that bridge I actually close my eyes and pray. It looks like it's being held up with dental floss. Eck!

Nice looking socks! I have a pair in progress but have moved on to a silly blanket project until that bores me to death.

Mardel said...

I haven't been to Archer City in many many years. This post brings back memories. And, like wool winder, I used to be afraid of draw bridges as well, I was always convinced it would lift and we would fall in. Just thinking about it brings back the terror I felt.

Pretty socks too. I've just finished my boring solid ones so next I can start something pretty, but there is too much in progress, as usual, for me to think straight.