Nearly three months after falling into sock design, I finished the pair that inspired the Burning Stripes pattern.
As I knit the second sock, I referred frequently to the pattern to check it. The first thing I noticed is that the 3x1 ribbing in the cuff is tighter than a 1x1 ribbing or a 2x2 ribbing would be, especially since this version has a longer cuff. (I later decided it is longer than necessary and used a shorter cuff in the pattern.) Those who bought the pattern should plan to cast on more stitches if they need a wider cuff. I'd suggest changing the type of ribbing, but I haven't tried any others yet. I really like this cuff with the sock--it looks so much like stockinette and blends the cuff nicely with the leg. If the wider cuff turns out to be too large in the ankle, the stockinette pattern makes it easy enough to decrease stitches in the leg. I'd pair the decreases on either side of the seam line.
I concentrated on the heel instructions while finishing up this pair, trying to work up a pattern addendum. As we drove through the Texas hill country last week to admire the wildflowers, I was taking pictures and worrying about this heel.
Even the abundant bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes didn't distract me.