Slanting Gretel Tee from Fall 2009 Interweave Knits, Interlacements Cheyenne yarn in Olive, size 5 needles
In fact, I made it much easier by eliminating the seed stitch. I knit 8 rounds of garter stitch for the hem and changed to reverse stockinette between the cables. Since that portion is still a little "ruffly", I can only imagine how loose it would be in seed stitch. (My seed stitch is loose.) After reading comments in the projects for this sweater on Ravelry, I was concerned about how wide the hem would actually be. I cast on for a size 32, which had a 37" width at the hem. Mine is over 40" at the hem.
After completing all the decreases, I began increasing again at the bust, adding 12 stitches to get to the count for the size 35. It is barely 35" below the sleeves. I could have used that width about 4" earlier. Other knitters recommend negative ease in the bust for this sweater. I surely achieved that. I blocked it very lightly, but will take a heavier hand with it the next time I wash it, trying for a little more width in the bust, less in the hips (though I want some) and more length.
Not to say that I don't like it. It's soft, it's flattering, it's green. I love it. I really like the A-line shape. Now the weather needs to warm up so I can wear it without a jacket.
There's one more shot of it on my Ravelry project page, in which you can see a little more of the undesirable ruffles at the bottom of the sweater, and read my detailed comments.
ETA: Since I wrote this, I gave up trying to incorporate this sweater into my wardrobe, ripped it out and reknit the yarn into a shawl.Finishing this sweater left me with only one project in progress. It's a conglomeration of ideas, coming from the desire for another small shawl, admiration for a vintage scarf pattern that relies on intarsia and stranding (simultaneously!), a compulsion to use up yarn on hand, and my constant wish to simplify the knitting.
I'm calling this one Coterie, for the little group of mostly alpaca yarns united in this project.
There's purple and lavender (kool-aid dyed!), but the colors meld together so well, they are hard to distinguish. One more stripe of gold and she's done. Don't worry, that doesn't mean that my needles will be empty. I've already started my April sweater.
At the same time, I'm writing up a sock pattern. More on that soon, I hope.