Sunday, December 27, 2009

Honey of a handknitted shawl

Drapey



Soft


Brown


What's not to like?

Pattern: Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl, Folk Shawls

Yarn: handspun alpaca, dk-worsted weight, Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival and a small hank from another alpaca festival

Modifications: ended garter stitch portion before the wrong side row increases that produce the longer "tails"; used yarnovers for all increases; added a third color to the feather and fan portion.
That was my present. The one gift I knitted was a pair of socks, using Dream in Color Smooshy and the pattern from the Holiday Vogue Knitting:

While a lighter yarn would have shown the lace pattern better, the dark green Smooshy is a pretty color. (Too bad my camera isn't up to capturing it.) There's just enough contrast with the bits of burgundy, but not enough to overwhelm the lace. Initially, I was quite happy to have a pattern that was so complicated. At the time I started these, I needed something to balance the garter stitch shawl and the plain striped socks that were boring me. However, having over half the second sock to knit and only a couple of days before Christmas was a bit too much complication. My holiday schedule didn't allow much solitary knitting time. I finally grafted the toe Christmas morning, gave them a quick block before the fan, and gifted them that afternoon. Whew!

I did modify the toe by continuing the lace pattern along both sides. It made a pointy toe, but was fun to try. The giftee likes fancy toes.

This afternoon I'll finish the plain striped socks and decide what to start for the new year. I have sock yarn wound, but I'm thinking sweater.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Wool Enough said...

That's a honey of a shawl indeed! As much as I enjoy the drape and shimmer of wool/silk blends, there is just nothing like alpaca for shawls.

Laura said...

Just lovely. There is something so sweet about feather-and-fan edgings. I like the final length too, it isn't a "shawlette" but doesn't drown you in yards of alpaca either.

Wool Winder said...

The alpaca shawl looks soft, warm and comfy...perfect.

The socks are really pretty, too.

Jennifer said...

Lovely shawl! And pretty sweet socks too.

Marjorie said...

That shawl is beautiful. That is on my "someday I'll knit it list" and seeing yours moved it up a few notches.

I'll have to take another look at the sock pattern too. They turned out great.

Sydney Harper said...

That's a beautiful shawl with a nice drape and good length.