Monday, September 28, 2009

Not quite Kitty

You never know how long a streak of pretty days will last this time of year, especially in the mountains. I figured I'd better get it together and get outside for photos.


The photos came out ok. As for the sweater, let's just say that the pattern designer, Louisa Harding, and I differ in our ideas of the ideal sweater. Not that this is bad. It's pretty nice, really. It was also quite easy to knit. But then there's the fit. Following the instructions for my size (36") would have produced a sweater with 4" of ease. A little caution led me to select the 34" size, resulting in one with almost no ease in the hips and, inexplicably, 4" of ease in the bust. I'd say this pattern could benefit with a little shaping in the waist and bust.

Never mind, it's pretty enough. Shaping complicates things, especially in a cable and rib pattern. It's the cable pattern that requires a big confession. It's wrong. Totally off. Not that the cables are difficult. I crossed those cables every 8 rows, faithfully and accurately, throughout the back, fronts and sleeves. No errors are evident. It was only upon carefully checking the pattern photo as I prepared to pick up stitches for the button band that I realized--they are supposed to be crossed every 16 rows!

No only is this a huge difference, the large, deep cables were the one aspect of the pattern that convinced me that I wanted to knit this sweater. That's why I consider this sweater "Not Quite Kitty".   For more detail on this sweater, check my Ravelry project page.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Wool Winder said...

So pretty!

Wool Enough said...

That is so funny about the cables. Maybe your fingers are so accustomed to modifying patterns that they insisted on doing it despite your best intentions. But it's a beautiful sweater anyway, every bit as gorgeous as the original design.

Laura said...

Not quite Kitty perhaps, but utterly Luni.I especially like the smaller, chain-like cables. They are truly pretty and a great match for the pearl buttons.

As for shaping, I wonder if switching to needles a couple of size smaller about 1" before the bust line would be enough to reduce the ease. At least it would allow the knitter to continue with the cable design without interruption. There doesn't appear to have enough space in between the cables to play with decreases otherwise.

Patricia said...

Very nice sweater. As fot the picture, it looked maternal but since I assume otherwise...perhaps an upset stomach? I had to laugh that the buttons were missing. This is something that I would do as well!

PghCathy said...

So nice! One would never know about the foibles until we read them.

Sam said...

It is gorgeous.

Mardel said...

Well it is quite lovely even with the smaller cables. I rather like the chain-like effect of the cables in your version.

Marjorie said...

I think the sweater turned out very well, and it looks good on you.

I've found that if you block sweaters with cables there is a lot of leeway in the sizing because the cables pull in--so perhaps that explains the sizing of the bust and hips. Even on my own designs, I scrunch up the cables when the pieces are wet so that the the final version will be stretchy (and not gap across the chest).

But I do know what you mean about instructions not being spelled out. I have that problem with Elsebeth Lavold and some British designers. I never got hung up on VK patterns, because when I first knitted from them, they were the only knitting magazine available. But the number of errors they have is astounding, and that turns me off.

quiltyknitwit said...

Beautiful sweater and the buttons are perfect.