Sunday, August 16, 2009

a knitted bandana, Springtime Bandit

In between the sweaters and dishtowels, there are other projects.

This one used yarn I bought at my guild's stash sale last year. It was silk and merino, and fairly expensive for a stash sale. It is probably fingering weight. I wish I knew more about it, mostly because it is quite nice and turned out to be a great buy. Digging through a large plastic bin of yarn looking for something for last year's uber-popular Lace Ribbon Scarf, I came up with two hanks of a mottled indigo-blue. In the end, the idea of a lightweight scarf lost its appeal and the yarn, though wound and ready, was never knit.

This summer, one of the popular patterns is Kate Gagnon Osborn's Springtime Bandit. Though the Bandit calls for worsted weight yarn, I reached for the stash sale leftover that had been sitting on my shelf for over a year, bagged with the right size needles and pattern for the Lace Ribbon Scarf. I'm so glad I did.

It turned out to be a great combo. The weight is perfect, the drape is enhanced by the beads I added on the second-to-last row of eyelets, and the color will go well with my blue coat. Looks like Springtime Bandit is a fine fall knit.

Although the sweaters may dominate my knitting, they don't encompass it. Socks and hats and scarves are sprinkled in and among the sweaters. Probably that explains why I struggle to complete a sweater each month. I'd rather risk missing that goal than miss the fun of knitting a little project that is more complex or more portable or faster than a sweater. This week I'll be closing in on my first original completed pair of socks, sans pattern. Nothing special, but most practical.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sam said...

What a pretty colour this is. Great find! Beautiful pattern too!

Wool Winder said...

This is the first time I've heard of this pattern, but I see why it's so popular. Very pretty!

kimberly said...

Wow, that is so beautiful!