Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Whoa, snow! -- knitting weather

If you were observant, you noticed that I bravely had my sock-clad foot on snow in that last post. Last week, it finally snowed. We didn't get much in town, but there's plenty on the mountaintop.

K was nice enough to take a few photos for me from the lift at Monarch. This was the best. Pretty, isn't it? Perhaps it is not so pretty to those who are living with the repeated storms that have hit the northeastern U.S. Sorry about that. I'll make it up by showing my reality.

This is what it looks like where I spend most of my time, dull brown and dry. You won't see many outdoor shots of my knitting. Dead grass isn't a nice backdrop. That and the cold keeps me indoors for my project-in-progress photos.

I'm still working on the Potpourri mittens, approximating the right size by leaving out a full repeat in the cuff and a partial one in the hand. Though they are not perfect, I keep telling myself they are good practice.

Such gooood practice that I have already ripped these out. In order to reduce the width of the mitten, I omitted three stitches from the chart. After I got this far, I decided I didn't like way the motif on the hand wasn't aligned with the motif on the cuff. (I used only 50 stitches for the cuff, 5 repeats, since there are no side stitches there--the cuff is simply a round piece.

I increased to 58 stitches for the hand. It was a little loose, my stitches were loose, and the plain rows were much looser than the fair-isle sections. The frog hopped on the hand of this one.

About that time, January ended, and I was hit with February inspiration:


I created a chart that would fit into 54 stitches, made a real effort to knit the plain rows tighter (on smaller needles), and tightened up my stitching in the second chart. Now they are a bit too small. Since I can't add stitches, I'm just continuing, hoping they will be a tad larger after I block them.
The other mitten news is that I found out the fair-isle hat class was canceled and must be rescheduled. I'm going to bring my mitten (if I haven't frogged the whole thing by then) to the teacher this Friday. She can probably give me some suggestions. I hope our schedules coincide and I can take her rescheduled class soon.
In the meantime, I'm thinking about these mitten charts. The first motif looks rather like an eye; mine is obviously a heart (for Valentine's Day). Wouldn't it be fun to have a third that completed the hieroglyphic sentence, eye heart...? Guess what I would use? How would you complete the sentence? Isn't this such a fun way to waste away the winter days?

5 comments:

Wool Winder said...

I really like the narrow stripes of that sock yarn. The snow photo is gorgeous. And so is the your reality photo.

vlb5757 said...

I do love the snow. Last night they said we might get 1-3 inches today. I feel like I get built up only to be let down when I get up and there is NOTHING! I need to move to someplace where our odds of getting snow are increased!! I could have much more knitwear. I love how hard you are working on those mittens. I have been looking at two color videos to get up the courage to give them a shot, but there are several other projects ahead of learning something new. One of them is a rather large project for Christmas. Snow...give me more snow pictures! lol!

Sydney said...

Beautiful snow! I'm afraid all I have for outdoor photography is dull brown too.

I like the sock yarn!

Marjorie said...

You could make something U shaped and have "eye heart U". I think those look really nice.

I tried stranded mittens as a first stranded project last year, and the results were not perfect (I gave them to DH), but it was good practice. I think working on something small that is stranded might be harder than a larger garment. I will test that theory eventually when I tackle my Philosopher's Wool kit.

Sam said...

That is a beautiful shot of the snow :) The socks you are working on a re pretty - I think the koigu heel will look fab. The mittens, aaaah the mittens. They are gorgeous. I hope the blocking does the trick.