Monday, January 12, 2009

Only a towel


Completed, in all its brightness, it does a lot for a plain white refrigerator door. I hope my neighbor likes it. Surely she will be able to find it when she needs a towel.
I've managed a couple of dishcloths to go with the towel. They still need a wash to flatten them out. I was shocked at the results of machine washing and drying the towel. It shrank 3" in both directions, going from an overly large 18" x 24" to a perfect towel size of 15" x 21". I suppose garter stitch shrinks more than stockinette. I can't imagine how small the dishcloths might become, especially since I knit them on size 7 needles. I should have used something much larger so that they would be loosely knit, but I was simply too lazy to get a larger needle out.

Here's a look at the back after the ends were trimmed off.


It's not too bad, for a dishtowel. However, I'm not sure that I would be satisfied with this method for a wrap knit with pricey yarn. Even though the fuzziness of the mohair would obscure the bi-color ridges and the pickup stitches somewhat, it would still look untidy.
I know this is not much to show for a couple of weeks' knitting. I can definitely report that I have followed my New Year's resolutions: I've changed my focus, taken on new challenges, ripped out mistakes, and discarded that which displeases me, all the while considering others. I haven't produced much knitting, but I have had fun.

Dish towel based on Modern Quilt Wrap pattern (free from Interweave), using dishcloth cotton and size 7 needles. I'd like to knit this again using the muted greens, browns and off-whites of Pakucho cotton.

10 comments:

Sonja said...

It is really beautiful and what a great idea! I don't like that pattern for a wrap but I love it as a towel. It reminds me of my mitered towl http://www.ravelry.com/projects/sonjar/mitered-towel ;)

And the colors are great.

Marjorie said...

I started to look at Pakucho after you mentioned it, and the colors seem wonderful (as displayed on my monitor). That would be a great project for it--but I like those bright colors too.

Wool Winder said...

I love it! Can I be your neighbor? :)

Wool Enough said...

I love the way the colors reach out and grab you and make you keep looking and looking. You could have a lot of fun interpreting this pattern into different color combinations.

vlb5757 said...

What a colorful towel. I think I could make that with the left over sock yarn I have been piling up!

Bron said...

You've raised the lowly dishtowel to new heights!

Patricia said...

The towel looks great! Pakucho is highly regarded, I have yet to try it. I would like to try using all my sock scraps for a blanket using this method. I certainly have enough little balls of yarn left over.
I also threw away several half knit items that have lingered, dare I say it, decades!

jane said...

So pretty...I have lots of leftover dishcloth cotton-this would be a great way to use them up! I didn't want to knit the wrap either but I might try this! Jane

Jenny Girl said...

But its a beautiful towel! So bright and cheery. great job!

Miriam said...

great towel. I would hate to have to weave in all those ends, though. I know your neighbor will love it.