Monday, November 17, 2008

Germans know how to short row heels.

I'm all for traveling, though it may at times be difficult. Besides being entertaining, I learn things. Heck, I even learn things from other people's trips. One of the members of my knitting group went to Germany last month. When she returned, she brought back instructions for a short-row heel. She raved about the heel, and even had a sock her German friend had knitted using the instructions. The joins were very smooth, even smoother than a wrap-and-turn short-row heel or a yarn-over heel (the one designed by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts).

The heel uses a "doublestitch" instead of the yarn over or wrap and turn. It is called a Boomerang heel. Of course, the instructions are in German. That's no problem for her (German is her first language), but presents a huge problem for me. I've looked around the internet, but can not find instructions for a boomerang heel. I did find something close, though.

The instructions I found do call the stitch that joins the short rows a doublestitch, but the heel is called a Yo Yo heel. They can be found here at Tess Knits. I don't know the differences between this and the boomerang heel. I will have to wait until I can either watch the boomerang heel being knitted or until I get translated instructions to see if there are any differences. The knitter who brought back the German instructions wasn't ready to knit socks just yet, though she will get to it soon enough, I'm sure.
Edit: I think I've figured out the yo yo and the boomerang heel and explain my theory in this post.

5 comments:

Wool Enough said...

Very interesting heel technique. I'm generaly a flap-and-gusset girl, but that looks so intriguing I'll have to give it a try. I've done a few short-row heels with wrap-and-turn, and they came out okay, no complaints, but this looks like it might actually enhance the look of the heel. Pretty cool.

Wool Winder said...

I've never heard of this one. I've bookmarked it for later. Thanks.

sydney said...

I'll have to try this. If it helps, Bavgirl did a post on German knitting terms last year. Here's the link if you're interested in trying to translate. There's a series of posts, but this one has a summary of terms.

http://www.bavgirl.com/2007/11/word_of_the_month_october.html

Marjorie said...

Inertia has kept me from doing anything but heel flaps, but I need to break out of my rut. I really like those heels, and you're inspiring me to try something new.

Jenny Girl said...

This yarn is right up my alley. Love it!