Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bare, Exposed, knits

I thought I would surely have photos of snow to show you today. Instead, it is bright and sunny, and the snow remains on the distant peaks. I'm wrong again. However, it doesn't seem to be anything I should complain about.


The mountain aspens are bare, exposing their silver shapes to the sun. We stopped at just the right spot on a drive over Marshall Pass this past weekend. A little further and we would have missed spotting this hornet's nest:

I've never seen one in-real-life before. It was huge, but there was no sign of life to it, just a few bits of loose fiber and leaves that fluttered in the breeze.

Speaking of loose fiber, all the bloggers are posting their Rhinebeck purchases now. Many of them bought Socks that Rock yarn. Thinking that maybe some of them might consider knitting what they bought (stashed Socks that Rock outnumber knitted up Socks that Rock 2 to 1 on Ravelry), I've got a couple of socks links:

Gorgeous top down version of Fleegle's toe-up heel

Drunken Bees Socks--see what they really look like and read how hard they are

Excellent version of a linen stitch scarf on Ravelry.

Up here, I'm continuing the Christmas gift knitting. I'll have a little neckwrap pattern next up.

4 comments:

Wool Winder said...

What a gorgeous picture of the mountain! I really like the linen stitch scarf with STR. I don't have any in my stash and have never knit with it, though I'd like to.

Dave said...

Thank you!

And woah! that's a big hornet's nest.

vlb5757 said...

I am so sorry that I have gotten behind on commenting on your posts. I have enjoyed catching up this morning because of all the pictures of the leaves. My downstairs bathroom is covered in pictures of different kinds of leaves. I have even sponge painted my bathroom upstairs with leaves. I love them. Fall is my favorite time of the year and I am hoping we can get away to do some leaf peeping before they all hit the ground. You are so lucky to have so many wonderful trees where you live. I have sand...lol!

Jenny Girl said...

I've never seen a hornets nest either. That is really big isn't it? The mountain pic is very beautiful and majestic.