The blocking was the same lace blocking miracle you've heard of elsewhere. It is worth all the knitting just to have the mind-changing experience of seeing a 32" springy, cushy mass of knitting evolve into a 42" circle of air and color. The shawl still has a cushy feel and retains enough body to hold the pattern and points., but now it drapes and floats in the wind.
I was pleasantly surprised at the size. I expected that knitting a lighter-than-lacweight yarn on needles several sizes smaller than recommended would produce a smaller shawl. It did, but only a couple of inches smaller than the pattern size. Considering that it took only 875 yards of Jojoland Harmony yarn, at a cost of $9, this shawl is quite a bargain. It is quite versatile--it works as a cloth for my small table,
Does my pose look strange? I was pretending to pick crabapples from our tree. (That's a farce--they're not really edible, even after cooking, so I leave them for the deer.) I had the full shot posted, but this cropped one focuses more on the shawl, which is really my focus here. Look down at the bottom edge and you will see the transition from the rosy-peach to aqua-blue. That color change, which evolves slowly around the border, was the reason I hesitated to knit the border in the same yarn as the body. I thought the color changes in the yarn would produce stripes. Instead, as I finished up the body, I realized that the short repeats would stretch the colors out more. The border started out aqua and changed ever so slowly to purple and finally to rose. The final bit was peach trying to change to gold. Before it got there, I had to join it to the aqua beginning, making one little bump in the smooth color changes.
I'll explain this and other bumps in the shawl knitting next post. For now, I'll just enjoy gazing at the shawl, and finish this with the stitch counts. I'm putting this at the end so that those that find the numbers too boring, or too daunting, can skip it.
A Cherry Blossom Shawl has a total of 54,528 stitches; 440 in Chart A, 9,800 in Chart B, 36,864 in Chart C, and a mere 7,424 in the chart for the border. I took 20 days to knit the body of the shawl, knitting on it for two to three hours each day, and another 5 days to knit the border (with an hour or two of knitting each day).