Thursday, August 14, 2008

Leyburn sock in progress


 My latest sock project is turning out well. The pattern, Leyburn Socks, and the yarn, Farmhouse Yarns Fannie's Fingering Weight, are a perfect match. The pattern is so easy to read that I don't need the instructions. I'm just knitting around and around, slipping stitches wyif and knitting through the resulting loop. So easy, but it looks great.
The slipped stitches tighten up the sock a bit, making the size 1 needles a good choice. However, after knitting the short-row heel on size 0s, I can see that a fabric denser than 7.5 spi would be better for this yarn.

I would have liked the toe to be a little narrower, but I blindly followed the pattern directions and turned the toe at 14 stitches. I hesitated to make any changes, since these are my first toe-up socks. Now that I've tried cuff-down and toe-up, I can't say I have a preference either way. I'm just happy they fit. I'll finish this one and block it before I knit the second one--just to make sure the fit doesn't change much after it is washed and dried.

The Vogue Sideways Cardi (#02) is on a slight break. I finished the lower fronts before the Olympics. Now all I have to do is to knit the yokes and then the button band.  Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

jamie said...

I love that sock, it looks incredibly complicated, and the colros are gorgeous. I can't even wrap my brain around the tiny needles and stitches in your cherry blossom! I'll have to go check out the pattern!

beverlyanne said...

I have to say the colors of the cherry blossom shawl look heavenly, actually very peachy so your peach prop fits. But the yarn colors are like a Platonic peach. I sympatize with your Olympics plight. I choose a child's sweater for mine and I'll be lucky to finish it.

Wool Enough said...

The Leyburn socks are really cute. Thanks for the excellent pictures. I had seen this pattern before on Ravelry, but the pictures there were so dark I couldn't really appreciate the pattern. It's in my queue now.

Marjorie said...

I can't believe you calculated the number of stitches. I think that if I did that, and then compared the number I had to rip out and do over, I'd never make another shawl again.

The socks look nice--a slip stitch pattern is a good idea for helping it to keep its shape.

vlb5757 said...

Nice shawl but when I read how many stitches there are, whew! Are you going to finish? I have to put down my shawl and knit on something else and then go back. I was going to sign up for one of the groups for the Olympics, but then school added another class to my schedule and I knew I was not going to have time. Maybe for the winter Olympics? I love the sock. That is a cute pattern. I still have yet to learn how to do a toe up yet. I guess I have to set some goals for '09. I have a sweater from the neck down for Sept. Sure hope it looks as good as the ones you have knit.

Sam said...

whoa that shawl i a lot of work. 3000 stitches a day? yes, I'm not sure I'd push myself that hard either. (It is looking pretty). The sock looks fabulous. Great pattern and yarn.

Mary-Kay said...

I LOVE the colors of the shawl and that sock is really pretty! You sure took on a hard project for the Olympics - but you've got a week left and you CAN DO IT!!!! (yelling from the sidelines here...)

Jenny Girl said...

The yarn really demonstrates the pattern. Great choice.
Thanks for the peach for reference, because otherwise i would not have thought it was that large. Beautiful so far. The colors are just...ahh.