Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Once Orange Now Brown

The orange Latoya is now brown:


While it isn't the deep brown of the swatch, I still think it is an improvement. The dyeing had some other effects on the fabric. It might be a little more stretched out, but not so much I can't wear it. It is definitely stiffer. The fabric now has a harsh, rough feel. I think this is due to residual dye that dried on the yarn. There's some differences in the color where some areas are darker than others. I think it is due to the excess dye either drifting to certain areas as the fabric dried or to uneven drying.

I saw a similar effect on my bamboo tee. At the time, I didn't know what caused the color change. Now I realize that the excess dye that bled into the water when I wet the tee to block it must have been the problem. I should have rinsed out all the excess dye before leaving the tee to dry.

I thought I had rinsed Latoya enough. It was rinsed, then machine washed twice. The water looked clear in the last rinse cycle. All I can do now is to wash it again, and use some fabric softener. If it softens up a bit, I think I will be quite happy with my now brown sweater. I'm sure I could have gotten a darker, softer, brown if dyeing this sweater had been my main objective. Since it wasn't, I put the sweater into the dye bath after I thought my Clapotis was as dark as it was going to get.

The Clapotis is a different cotton blend yarn, dyed in slightly hotter water for a longer period of time. Still, I am amazed at the difference in the color between it and Latoya.


I'll have more on the Clapotis and a modeled shot for you next.

Don't worry, I'm still knitting, too. I'll probably have something finished to show next week.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

I think it looks very good. If you haven't already done so, putting white vinegar into the final rinse is supposed to set the color (and remove any residual soap).

I like your slide show of FOs.

Laura said...

Your dyeing experience is fascinating. Re: extra dye, I have become a big fan of Shout Color Catcher sheets and I use them in the sink when I suspect a yarn will bleed.

I am eagerly awaiting for the story of the Clapotis makeover. The new shade looks lovely at any rate.

Sam said...

I think it looks lovely. Great pattern too.

vlb5757 said...

I like the brown verison of Latoya. I like the orange but the brown gets my vote. I would like to learn how to dye to, but I have so much on my plate right now that I bearly have time to knit. I need to be spinning my fingers to the bone before the dogs make a bed out of my roving!