Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gathered Hat

Both the Gathered Scarf and the matching hat are complete. I will probably block the scarf, since I wouldn't mind if it was a bit wider. A bit shorter wouldn't be a bad thing--I had enough yarn (over three balls) to knit 50 stockinette panels, making the scarf over 70" long. I hesitate to block the hat, as it fits perfectly now. I've written out some instructions below, in case anyone wants to knit one. I'll apologize in advance for the amateur pattern-writing. Just let me know in the comments or in an e-mail if anything needs clarification.


Gathered Hat

To loosely fit head sizes 21" - 22"

Materials: Cascade Indulgence, dk weight yarn, 70% alpaca/30% angora; 123 yds/50 g., 2 balls Needles: size 7 24" circular, size 4 24" circular, size 7 and 4 dpns
Gauge: 4 stitches/inch in garter, lightly stretched (Note: The recommended yarn has little elasticity, so the gauge is quite loose even on size 4 needles.)
To start: Cast on 176 stitches with size 7 needles, join to work in the round. Place marker for end of round.
Abbreviations:
kfb--knit into the front and back of the same stitch (an increase)
k2tog--knit two stitches together (a decrease)
Knit 6 rows, **with smaller needles, k2tog around. 88 stitches remain.
Round 2: Purl
Round 3: Knit
Round 4: Purl
Round 5: Knit
Round 6: Purl--3 garter ribs

With larger needles, kfb around, increasing to 176 stitches.

Knit 5 rounds.**

Repeat from ** to ** for 4 repeats, changing the first rowof the 4th repeat of stockinette to kfb twice, k1 around, reducing the number of stitches to 144. The next round of k2tog reduces this to 72.

After the next garter repeat, reduce to the stitch count again on first row of the next stockinette repeat by *kfb 8 times, k1* repeating around. After 5 more rows of stockinette, you will k2tog around to start a garter repeat which will have 64 stitches.

After this garter repeat, you are ready to start decreasing for the crown. Place markers every 8 stitches; you will k2tog before each marker for a decrease round. Continue pattern, alternating decrease rounds with plain rounds, but you will alter the pattern by not increasing and decreasing when you change from stockinette to garter and back.
You should end with stockinette, knitting only 3 rows, the last being a decrease row which reduces the stitch count to 8. Tie off and weave in ends. It's a hat!
 

12 comments:

beverlyanne said...

Thank you for the adorable hat pattern. I too love the fllirty little brim. I've never knit a hat, but I just might make this one.

Wool Winder said...

Nice work. Thanks for the pattern.

Sam said...

Fun! I love how the finished fabric looks on these.

Marion said...

I love this hat! Thank you for the pattern. Can't wait to make one.

Jenny Girl said...

What a cute little hat!

Robin said...

Very cute hat! Thanks for sharing!

AndreaLea said...

Wonderful hat! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Sharon said...

Thank you so much for the hat pattern, it was a joy to knit and fun to wear. Just the thing as Britain is freezing at the minute, ta very much for sharing it

Linda said...

I love this hat. I found your site while searching for knitting pain. I'm new to knitting, but have managed to acquire some right wrist pain. I'm going to try your advice about ice and wrist brace while knitting,

BTW what does 'kfb' mean. Do you have an list of abbreviations on your site?

Luni said...

I can't get in touch with Linda, who left the comment above, (she didn't put an e-mail address in her profile). However, I just wanted to make a correction to her comment. I do not wear a wrist brace while knitting. If I said that I did, I might have tried it, but I have learned (the hard way) not to wear my braces except at night. Wrist braces are meant to stop movement, not support it. They allow your tendons to heal by immobilizing them. Wearing them while active would not help an injury, and might cause one.

Luni said...

Linda, I edited the pattern above to add a definition of kfb, which stands for "knit into front and back of same stitch". Thanks for bringing this omission to my attention.

Linda said...

Thanks. It's a beautiful hat. It will add a new technique to my knitting knowledge and is now on my list of projects.