Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fitted Knitted Socks

The Waving Lace socks have flowed along. I'm knitting them in a pretty purple colorway of Cat Mountain sock yarn. This is a very fine merino yarn of a purple hue that my camera fights capturing. I came closest to winning the color war in the second photo--it is pretty true to life.
My goal for these socks was to knit them to fit. Up 'til now, I've been knitting at a looser gauge with thicker yarn, yielding socks about 8" around. My skinny feet need something smaller, somewhere between 6 and 7 1/2 inches. These are around 6 1/2". With the stretchy lace pattern, they have a decent, but not snug, fit for the leg, but were of course tight over the ankle. I compensated by putting in a longer heel flap.
Even with the tighter gauge, I was still concerned that it might not be snug enough in the toes. I changed from size 1 needles to size 0 after the gusset. Then, to make double darn sure I had complete control of the fit, I changed the lace pattern to a plain k5, p2 rib.
I think the transition just below the ankle frames my foot well and isn't abrupt. I was glad to get rid of the lace, because stretching out the waving lace pattern over my foot emphasizes the diamond shape of the repeats, making my foot look very broad. For this sock, I knit the first repeat after the cuff in size 0s. When I saw it was a little tight, I went back to 1s. As a result, the cuff flares a little, but still fits well enough. The slip-stitch heel actually fits better in this yarn. It's cushy, but not too bulky.

Still not satisfied that the fit was tight enough, I decreased the p2 to p1 a couple of inches after the last diamond. This was overkill--the sock is tight, but wearable. I left the p2 in the second sock. If I like it much better, I will consider reknitting the foot of the first sock. I have plenty of sock yarn. With such tiny socks, I might get two pair out of this big ball of yarn.
This in-progress photo is a close up of the transition from lace to rib. I changed the yarn over increases to m1, placing them between the purls until I had 6 knit stitches and the coordinating decreases had moved the opposing purls together. On this second sock, I put the m1s to the right of each earlier increase. This looks better than the first one, where I placed them in the middle. However, it doesn't make enough of a difference to demand a redo of the foot of the first sock. I don't think...

Except for that crazy pooling on the instep. I didn't notice it knitting them but the camera caught it. Eh, it's just socks. Socks that fit quite well.

 Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Wool Winder said...

Yay! Socks that fit and pretty ones too.

vlb5757 said...

I love how you changed the needle size to change the size of your sock. I think since I have large calves I should change to a 2 then go back down to a 1 at the gusset. Great idea. I will have to give it a shot. I hate socks that fall down around my ankles or ones that are stretched to the very limit around my calves. Instead of doing a stitch increase, changing the needle size just might be what I need. Great idea!

Jenny Girl said...

These socks are cute! The colorway is lovely too. Cooler tones like waves.
Wear them well!

Wool Enough said...

Gorgeous socks. I love the transition into the ribbing on the foot and the ribbing itself. Once again you have created a re-design that looks better than the original. Congratulations!

sydney said...

Congrats on your socks! They're lovely. I always have a hard time getting an accurate color for anything purple.

Patricia said...

I really like the colors with denim. I particularly want to say that I love the little slide show that you have in the corner. Thats a great idea. I wonder if Flickr offers that.

Marjorie said...

I like the way the ribbing looks on the foot, and the flow of the lace pattern into the rib is very elegant (you'll have to wear shoes that show it off).