The Waving Lace socks have flowed along. I'm knitting them in a pretty purple colorway of Cat Mountain sock yarn. This is a very fine merino yarn of a purple hue that my camera fights capturing. I came closest to winning the color war in the second photo--it is pretty true to life.
My goal for these socks was to knit them to fit. Up 'til now, I've been knitting at a looser gauge with thicker yarn, yielding socks about 8" around. My skinny feet need something smaller, somewhere between 6 and 7 1/2 inches. These are around 6 1/2". With the stretchy lace pattern, they have a decent, but not snug, fit for the leg, but were of course tight over the ankle. I compensated by putting in a longer heel flap.
Even with the tighter gauge, I was still concerned that it might not be snug enough in the toes. I changed from size 1 needles to size 0 after the gusset. Then, to make double darn sure I had complete control of the fit, I changed the lace pattern to a plain k5, p2 rib.
I think the transition just below the ankle frames my foot well and isn't abrupt. I was glad to get rid of the lace, because stretching out the waving lace pattern over my foot emphasizes the diamond shape of the repeats, making my foot look very broad. For this sock, I knit the first repeat after the cuff in size 0s. When I saw it was a little tight, I went back to 1s. As a result, the cuff flares a little, but still fits well enough. The slip-stitch heel actually fits better in this yarn. It's cushy, but not too bulky.
Still not satisfied that the fit was tight enough, I decreased the p2 to p1 a couple of inches after the last diamond. This was overkill--the sock is tight, but wearable. I left the p2 in the second sock. If I like it much better, I will consider reknitting the foot of the first sock. I have plenty of sock yarn. With such tiny socks, I might get two pair out of this big ball of yarn.
This in-progress photo is a close up of the transition from lace to rib. I changed the yarn over increases to m1, placing them between the purls until I had 6 knit stitches and the coordinating decreases had moved the opposing purls together. On this second sock, I put the m1s to the right of each earlier increase. This looks better than the first one, where I placed them in the middle. However, it doesn't make enough of a difference to demand a redo of the foot of the first sock. I don't think...
Except for that crazy pooling on the instep. I didn't notice it knitting them but the camera caught it. Eh, it's just socks. Socks that fit quite well.