Monday, July 14, 2008

Elk baby and Monkey socks

On the way to Westscliffe last week, we found three elk cows grazing in a field by the road. When we turned around to go back for picture-taking, we saw an elk calf in the ditch. He was spooked and trying to get to the cows, who were moving away now that they had seen our car. He ran back and forth along the fence, looking for a way over it. Finally he stopped and bleated plaintively, even trying to climb the fence.

At that, one of the cows stopped and looked back. I thought she would run to him. Instead, she just started calling in that high-pitched elk voice, which made the calf all the more frantic in his efforts to find a way across the fence. We backed up and left them at that point. I could see that if he ran far enough down in our direction, he could crawl under the fence. Or mama could just jump over and take him back across the road. Either way, she would be much more likely to come to him if we weren't there.
Of course, I was knitting in the car when I wasn't taking pictures of elk. I finished my Monkey socks.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Poor little elk. Surely his mama came and helped him. I'm such a softie. We saw a dog along the shoreline yesterday while on the lake. It was a very wooded section - no house. He just sat there and watched as we passed. He looked skinny. I'm still worrying about that pup. I wanted to check on him - collar, etc. - but hubby wouldn't have anything to do with that.

Wool Winder said...

The Monkeys look awesome! The new sock will be quick it seems. Hope they fit nicely.

sydney said...

Nice elk pictures! I would think they would find a way to get back together once you left.

Nice looking Monkey socks! I like the yarn in your Waving Lace socks too.

vlb5757 said...

The elk story was amazing. I have never seen an elk in person. I like the Monkey socks. I have not made a pair but the more I see them the more I like them. I have a long list of things to knit. If I stay off Ravelry and quit looking at all the projects, I might be able to get mine done! lol!

Marjorie said...

The Monkey socks turned out very nicely, and the new sock yarn is very pretty.

Corwink said...

Is it just me or do those socks match the color of the cute little elk? Either way they look great!

Jenny Girl said...

The monkey socks look great!
These should be called elk socks since the colors match the elk.