Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Knitted Apron Named Flo

I've finished the apron I was knitting, using the Flo pattern from the Spring 2007 issue of Knitscene. I used Pakucho cotton in cream and blue Sugar 'n Cream cotton, mixing in some ecru Peaches 'n Creme to even out the weight of the feather and fan border. On size 8 needles, the skirt of this apron doubled as a great big swatch for the cardigan I plan to knit with Pakucho. The gauge is 18 st x 24 rows/4" in the skirt of the apron.

That's a little large, gauge-wise, for the apron. It is big. I thought it would be gathered by the tulle ties at the waist, but the gathers just make me look thick-waisted; they are out.

For cotton yarn, the Pakucho is pleasant to knit. It isn't too heavy, even with this much fabric.

9 comments:

vlb5757 said...

Iron, who irons...well I did for the first time the other day. My husband saw the iron out and asked if that was a hint for him to iron his own shirts. I said nope, but what a GREAT idea...'nough said.

I remember my mother and gradmother wearing aprons when I was a kid. I have seen people who collect them and make them.

Wool Enough said...

I would never have thought of knitting an apron, but that is really cute. And one could try out lace patterns on a smaller scale. Hmmmmm.

Bron said...

Flo is too darling for words. Great job! (And great inspiration!)

Corwink said...

I LOVE that apron. It is awesome!

theminx said...

Turned out nicely - makes me want to do some entrelac sometime soon, after I finish the gang of mini projects I have myself involved in.

Patricia said...

Oh my goodness, that is so cute. I don't use that word too often. The tulle gives it just the right cheekiness.
Hey...I iron!

Marjorie said...

That is a neat project. I never contemplated a knitted apron, but yours is pretty and practical.

Sam said...

This is a really fun apron. And I love the pic with the pan. Funny!

Jenny Girl said...

I like it! This came out really cute. And I love the picture with the frying pan....cast iron?
That will knock out any further inspiration.