Sunday, May 4, 2008

Socks for Veronik

Socks for Veronik, Interweave Knits, Holiday 2007; Baruffa Aerobic yarn, size 2 needles. Started April 7, finished the last day of April at 3:33 p.m.
I used size 1 needles to knit the heel flap and turn the heel. I had to knit 4 extra garter ridges to make the flap as long as the pattern instructed, but that just meant that I could pick up a stitch on each garter ridge when I knit the gusset. Working on them a little each day, it took me about three weeks to finish.

And a whoo-hoo to the finishing. I have yet to enjoy sock knitting, but I think I could get addicted. While putting away my bits of leftover yarn and my dpns, I pulled out my little stash of Koigu KPPPM. I was very tempted to cast on for a pair of Monkey socks.

That I considered it at all surprised me, since finishing these socks was such a relief. I thought I'd want a break from socks. Instead, my subconscious betrayed my true feelings--I dreamed I knit a Monkey sock last night--and I felt guilty for doing it.

Seeing these photos gives me a clue as to why I might be sock-obsessed. Despite the fiddliness, the doubt (Why am I wasting time and money knitting something I can buy for a few dollars?), and my overall dislike of wearing socks, except in really cold weather, I like the product. Gee, they're pretty.

I will take a little break, in order to give more consideration to the pattern, sizing, and heel type. After that, I'll probably be reaching for the Koigu in a few days.

I may gift these. I'll have to see if the recipient I have in mind favors lacy wool socks that must be hand washed.
If not, I'll keep them. I'll just wear them with different shoes. These are a little tight for wool socks. They did well enough for the photo, and they do expose the controversial element of this pattern, the toe decrease.

The designer continued the p3tog from the central lace pattern down the toe as a decrease.

I saw that some knitters on Ravelry had omitted this and just knit a standard toe with all the decreases on the sides. They thought continuing the lace decrease would just look like an odd seam on the toe.

I like it. I'm not sure that non-knitters will get it--that the lace is continued, but I doubt these socks will be worn much with the toes exposed. While it is a 'fancy' pair of socks, it is still a pair of wool socks. They are warm, and don't make sense with sandals.

I think they'd look very nice with a clunky pair of Mary Janes, or whatever clunky shoe is currently in style.

Now that I've finished these, I'll concentrate on my sweaters for a couple of days. The Cabana Tee is moving right along. I have decided to add waist shaping, and tried out a double decrease instead of two mirrored decreases, a technique I just learned for knitting in the round. In another day or two I'll know how the decreases look with matching double increases.

I'm halfway through the first sleeve of Oblique. I've had adventures with the pattern, and will tell them in the next post.

11 comments:

Jenny Girl said...

I absolutely love your socks! Love, love, love them! I want to knit these too, but haven't found the right yarn yet.
The call of the sock is hard to resist.

Wool Enough said...

The socks are gorgeous. Love the pattern, really love the toe. Nice job!

So, welcome to the wonderful world of sock knitting. I predict that as you knit more socks you will -- become highly intolerant of store-bought socks, insist on having a pair of socks that coordinate exactly with your outfit, find more reasons and occasions for wearing socks, and . . . who knows what else might happen.

Rosemary said...

These socks are truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Sonja said...

Something you can buy in a shop for few dollars? I don't think you are going to find nice lace wool custom fit socks very easily in a store :)

I didn't get hooked on sock knitting until I tried using circulars.

Kathy aka the Minx said...

Socks. Tsk tsk.

KimT said...

gorgeous!

Sam said...

Oooh these are gorgeous. Great lace pattern.

Marjorie said...

Those are so pretty. I think you should keep them for yourself.

Aside from feeling so wonderful on your feet, the thing I like about handknit socks is that there is no toe seam. I often get an irritation across my toes from the store-bought variety.

vlb5757 said...

I love the socks. I haven't seen you do socks. They are nice. I love knitting socks and I am always looking for another pattern. Thanks for sharing it.

Patricia said...

I'm so proud of you. Those socks look fabulous and the shoes are just the thing. I agree, only for the photos. I still have trouble finding just the right shoes to wear with hand knit socks.
I hope the recipient wears them as well.

SNOWBIRD said...

The socks are absolutely beautiful.