Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Short row heels

I like short-row heels, and learned that Priscilla Gibson Roberts is credited with the short row heel with yarn overs. That's the only short-row heel I've done. I'd like to try one with wraps, and I found that Wendy Johnson had a Knitty article about the short-row heel with wraps, but I only found one about short-row toes for toe-up socks. The Cosmic Pluto blog has a tutorial on the WJ heel. There are other tutorials available on the PGR short-row heel. I still need to understand what Japanese short rows, and learn if they work for heels.

Then I looked at patterns. First, I found one simple sock pattern with a short-row heel--make that two short-row heel patterns--and the Blue Blog pattern for ankle socks from one skein of Koigu.
IETA: I've since found another type of short-row heel, the Sherman. Here's a couple of links to it: Sherman short-row heel; Another Sherman

4 comments:

Laura said...

Obviously you went to the same city I am about to fly to this weekend -- the Bronx is up and the Battery's down, right?
Black Koigu seems like the most perverse yarn choice ever!

Marjorie said...

That's quite an ambitious sock repertoire. Are you in the Summer of Socks KAL? (I joined just to keep my progress going.)

You should check Wendy's site for her various patterns and tutorials on sock knitting. I think she revised her toe-up instructions:

wendyknits.net/finished-work-free-patterns-tips/sub-page

vlb5757 said...

Did you meet Donna Karin? Glad to see that you are getting into socks. Now does that mean I have to start knitting sweaters? lol! The yarns are lovely and thanks for sharing your research, which is now on my favorites. I will be checking those out here shortly. Hope that you had a lovely trip!

Kathy aka the Minx said...

As I read down your list of impending socks, I could feel the back of my neck tighten with tension. Might not have been the idea of sock knitting, but yet it might have been.

So the DKNY Be Delicious works on you huh? It smells good on paper, but on my skin it's pretty foul. Same goes for the red version. When I want to smell fresh and apple-y, I opt for Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue.