Sunday, March 23, 2008

Crochet to Knit--the hard way

Back when I was really into crochet, and read the crochet boards, I often saw questions about converting a knit pattern to crochet, or vice-versa. Most often, the question linked to a nice knit sweater, and wanted to know how it could be converted to crochet. And, most often, the answer was that the effect would not be the same. Of course, there are ways to crochet a design that was originally knitted, and to produce knitted objects that look as though they have been crocheted. There might even be one or two crochet stitches which will produce a similar fabric to knitting. The merits and demerits of each craft have been discussed, compared and debated endlessly.

I'm not looking to start another crochet v. knit debate. I am actually just reminiscing. It was my desire for sweaters that turned me from crochet back to knit. Now, I'm literally re-experiencing that moment as I frog one of my crochet camisoles so I can knit another with the yarn.

I crocheted this top about three years ago, following my first visit to a lys. Having in hand at last some good quality cotton yarn (Berroco Cotton Twist), I designed a simple tank with a lace midriff and beaded edging.

I was quite happy with the result at the time. (If you want to see a modeled shot, there's one in my poster for '05.) I even wrote up the pattern and offered it for publication. There was a positive response, but I never pursued it past sending off the contract. I quickly realized that pattern writing is much too time consuming. (That's why I so appreciate a well-written pattern and admire those that write them.)

I wore this often, but wear and washing has stretched it too much. Styles have changed, as has what I consider age-appropriate and flattering. Still, it was hard to frog it. I like it. It was also hard to frog because I was very meticulous in weaving in the ends. Oh, and those seams--all the sewing had to be picked out.

I kept at it, though. I'm still under the influence of the 'clear the decks' crusade I began in January, so frogged it was.

Now that I've learned that recycling yarn is not a fun job, I won't undertake all that work for a bunch of little short pieces of yarn without more thought to the value of the yarn. I'm afraid I was motivated by sentiment on this one. I wasn't wearing it, and I didn't want to throw it out.

Now I have to skein, wash and reball it all.

4 comments:

Mardel said...

All kinds of things go with purple. Orange, yellow, yellow-green, green, lilac, rose-pink, a softer flamingo pink, brick red, if it is more violet than purple, some blue greens, grays and blues. Play.

Sonja said...

Interesting journey.

Maybe light blue or pink will go well with the purple?

Kathy aka the Minx said...

I like lime green and purple together, but that's just me. :)

vlb5757 said...

What a job that must have been frogging that top out. I frogged a whole sweater that I just didn't like the color. I knew I shouldn't have let others talk me into another color other than shades of green. So it's now becombing a prayer shawl to be given away. I can't wait to see what you do with the yarn.

I love the newest sweater too!