Sunday, March 9, 2008

Diminishing Cables Sweater, Done!

Let's all breathe a sigh of relief. The sweater blocked out ok. I am relieved that all the modifications I made to this pattern did not mess it up. It is finally done. I can't wait to wear it out somewhere.

Actually, I'd like the weather to warm up a bit. It was in the thirties (Farenheit) when I took these photos. After I took a couple outside, I gave up and came inside where it is warmer. I don't like the way the sunlight (such as it is) makes the Aurora 8 yarn look shiny. Nontheless, I've used this first photo because it shows that the yoke, which I knit twice to get the right fit, is just where I wanted it. Besides, it is, err, attention-getting. Camera angles, it's all camera angles.

Stats: Diminishing Cables Sweater pattern by Annie Modesitt. Published in Interweave Knits, Fall 2003. Karabella Aurora 8 yarn, 9 balls (900 yards). Size 7 Bryspun straight needles, size 7 bamboo circular needles. 12 days knitting time. Modifications: substituted worsted weight yarn for double-stranded fingering weight; changed stitch pattern in body; narrowed and shortened sleeves; shortened yoke. For detailed explanations of my mods, see my earlier entries, here and here and, yes, here.

I'm a bit surprised that I blogged so much about this sweater. I usually just mention a project when I start it, then blog about it when it is done. I guess I just became obsessed by the thrill of creating something different.

Once I finished the yoke and could see that I had enough yarn left to lengthen the sleeves, I cut the 'provisional' yellow cuffs off and knit a new one with the leftover green Aurora 8. Since I was knitting down from the provisional cast-on, there was no way the 3x3 ribbing would line up. It would be a half stitch off. Instead, I used the twisted rib stitch called for in the cuffs, neck, and bottom of the sweater. This is the only place I used it, since I didn't want the bottom to be tight around my hips, and I didn't knit as high a neckline as in the pattern. I could stand for the sleeves to be about a half an inch shorter, so they wouldn't wrinkle up when I bend my elbow. I think they are about 8" long. I'm not sure because I just knit until I ran out of yarn. Now that I see them, I like them better than the long sleeves in the pattern.

The yarn has held up to multiple froggings, washings and blockings just fine. How it will wear remains to be seen. Even if it does pill, I won't complain. I'll just shave it with my sweater shaver and consider it worth it for the wool. The yarn is so incredibly soft, I can not believe it is wool. This is without doubt the most comfortable sweater I have ever knit.

I will say, though, that it is very clingy. I'll have to be careful what I wear under it.

This is a good shot of the side cable. See how it diminishes and grows, then diminishes again for the yoke? All the body shaping is done in the four side cables. That made it easier to seam, since there were no increases and decreases to try to line up in the side seam.
I'm trying to come up with a new name for my version...

Come and Go Cables Pullover
Thick and Thin Cables Pullover
Shaping Cables Pullover

Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Corwink said...

Gorgeous!! I love this sweater.

Sam said...

I love this sweater. I agree that the short sleeves are nicer than the long. And I love the colour you used. Very nice indeed!

Bron said...

Wow. That was well worth all the fussing & fixing. Just beautiful. :)

Kathy said...

That looks simply amazing.

Marjorie said...

Gorgeous sweater. I love so many things about it, but particularly the shaping from varying the side cable. Wear it proudly.

vlb5757 said...

The sweater turned out beautifully. I especially love the fact that it's a green sweater. Green is my favorite color so I might be a wee bit biased...lol

Chrispy said...

I love this sweater. I recognize the picture when I saw it in your project page. I like your one color through out so much better.