Monday, February 18, 2008

Gaga Gatsby Girl Pullover

Stash? Busted! Those two skeins of Wool-ease sport that I couldn't give away (because I loved the color too much) and that hank of Toasty Toes that didn't want to be anything but socks? I beat 'em, beat them into submission and made them into a sweater.



It worked out pretty much as I had planned, yarn-wise. I'm startled that it took me soooo long, two months, to knit. Whew, but it was knit on size 2, 3 and 4 needles. Also, I fiddled with the Gatsby Girl pattern a lot, and that took time. I changed the stitch pattern in the body, replacing the 1x1 ribbing with a purl 6, knit 1 twisted rib. I knew I would go nutz trying to knit that much 1x1 ribbing English style, that my 1x1 ribbing is loose and sloppy looking, and that 1x1 ribbing would add bulk. The twisted ribbing was much easier to knit, neater looking, and--I'm not sure about the bulk. It is a tighter gauge and doesn't give as much as the 1x1. I don't think I can compare the two. I'm sure the 1x1, being more elastic, would have a more comfortable feel.

The cuffs were easy. When I first thought of adding cuffs, I decided I wouldn't be able to tolerate more than 5" of the variegated yarn as a cuff. I had two skeins of the Wool-ease, so I knit the back, set the remainder aside, and knit the front. Then I had two 'half' skeins left. I took one to the post office to weigh it. It was over half the weight of a full skein, so I knew I had enough to knit a sleeve to the pattern dimensions. I wasn't sure where such a sleeve would fall. As it turned out, it was a three-quarter sleeve on me, not the slightly-below-elbow length sleeve that I saw in the pattern photo. The sleeve ended about 5" above my wrists. I didn't think it was too flattering, and the hemmed edge made the bottom bulky.

I compensated for the bulk by picking up stiches just below the picot row, knitting down for the cuff, then turning up the hem inside the sleeve, covering the picked up stitches. This makes the sleeve overlap the cuff, and fills out under the sleeve hem. It also gives me the full-length sleeve I prefer. I had plenty of the Toasty-toes left for the cuffs. There were 525 yards in the hank, and I probably have enough left for a small neckwarmer.

8 comments:

Marjorie said...

That turned out really well, and I don't think two months for a sweater seems like a long time, particularly one where you had to rethink the pattern, swatch, etc. It also seems reasonable that you'd add more inches to the front on a no-ease sweater. On a sewn garment, the darts add the "extra", and so you're basically replacing that additional material with the added inches.

Sam said...

The sweater fits beautifully. (I love purple too)

Wool Enough said...

I really like the changes you made to the pattern, looks better than the original. And the fit is perfect. And the combination of solid with multi-color works so well. All in all, quite an accomplishment.

Bron said...

Love it! All your mods came out great. :)

vlb5757 said...

Wow, you went all designer on us! How creative. I can see why it took a while to knit. I wish I could be that creative and have that vision to see what could be.

Kathy said...

Groovy! I love the colors and the fit is fantastic!

Michelle said...

Beautiful! I love how it turned out.

Patricia said...

That was a match made. I really love the yoke and those great buttons were a find. Clever you!