Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mitered square knit towel

I finished the towel I knit with the slip-stitch mitered square edgings. (I explained the pattern I devised here, and I used the "& cream" yarns.) I'm enamoured of the center of this towel, with its alternating stockinette and garter stripes, much like joined swatches. It puckers up in little sections just perfect for drying hands. Knitting the middle went very quickly, then I grabbed my reversed version of the chart for the edging.


I was able to flip the chart so that the second edging was reversed, producing symmetry. I find if quite reassuring when something I think will work out in knitting does work out exactly as I expected. It is nice to have predictability in at least one area of my life.

Not that I often come across the unexpected, but sometimes, just sometimes, I see something that makes me drop my knitting mid-stitch, turn off the ipod, grab my camera and say--


"Are there dogs on that roof? Quick, turn around and go back!"


Yep, dogs on the roof. Happy, smiling people, cats in the yard and dogs on the roof.

They waved at me after I took the picture.

For the curious, I took these pictures in north Texas, sometime after leaving the yarn shop. What a day that was.

6 comments:

Wool Enough said...

The towel is lovely. What sort of yarn did you use?

Emily said...

So um. How did the dogs get on the roof? There doesn't seem to be an open window...

vlb5757 said...

The towel is great. I am so impressed with the fact that you just make things up. I am more the "follow the pattern" person. I haven't worked up enough courage to get off the beaten path.

Okay, I don't get the dogs on the roof. That's too funny. Sure makes us Texans look a bit goofy! lol!

the knitrider said...

I love the towel! What a good use of the yarns! I always see them in the store and pass them up for lack of ideas!

Sam said...

Heh? Isn't that the strangest thing!

John Gunn said...

I found this site looking for dogs on the roof. I saw a similar scene in outback Australia and wondered if was just an Ozzie thing. Obviously not. Nice work getting a picture of them.