Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Green lace scarf down

One green lace scarf, from the same pattern as the red lace scarf, is done. And that is it, the last of the lingering scarves that I will pick up and finish. I didn't expect to finish this one...

I just pulled it out of my knitting bag one day last week when I thought it might make a good gift for a friend who had back surgery a couple of months ago. I thought it might feel comforting around her neck. It is quite nice, since it is the softest merino wool I've found--Baruffa Aerobic. I bought several balls of this, some green and some lavender, a couple of years ago at Tuesday Morning. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, in fact, I didn't have a clear idea then of what it was, I just knew it was wool and it was on sale. After a few months, I figured out that it is fingering weight.

I used a couple of balls of the lavender to make a flower basket shawl, which I've worn once. Besides the fact that it is scratchy, (The lavender is scratchy, the green is not--it is so strange.) it is light, lacy and fragile. Other than ornamentation, I see no need for wearing something so light. It is pretty but is hard to coordinate with my usual wardrobe of jeans and shirt. I guess I'm just not the lace shawl type.

You'd think, since I'm not using the lace shawl, I wouldn't knit lace scarves, huh? However, I really like the red lace scarf I just finished, so I thought a green one would be fine.

There were two things I didn't take into account--the weight and the nature of the yarn. Both combined to produce a large, filmy scarf after blocking, which is nothing like the red scarf, since it is knit with a lightweight worsted wool.

Once again, I was surprised at how quickly I completed this abandoned project. I had knitted half of the scarf and about a third of the second half before I put it away. Since the first half had 12 repeats and then a few inches of ribbing, I replicated it in the second half. The photo below is closest to the true color, a deep emerald green...

Grafted together and blocked, the scarf is over 6 feet long.
I suppose that is the real advantage to lace knitted on larger needles (size 7) with fingering weight yarn. It really grows when you block it.
That's the end of this scarf project, and also the end of my frustrated attempts to photograph the true color of this yarn. Never fear, I don't have to do it all on my own. I've got help. It is sooo nice to have the community of knitters in Ravelry to fall back on when you just can't do it on you own. Here is a finished object in the very same shade of the very same yarn, properly photographed.

Not only have I seen the end of this scarf, I've seen an end to my abandoned scarves. The only one left is my Chevron Scarf, which I've decided to frog. I'll put the Koigu back in my stash. Last night I dreamed I knitted it into a sweater.

5 comments:

Sam said...

It is beautiful! I think your friend is very lucky to receive such a lovely gift.

theminx said...

I like it! And it's amazing how some colors just refuse to photograph properly unless you light them just so or use just the right background color.

The Chevron scarf is gorgeous if one has the patience for knitting it in Koigu, but if it's not working for you, then it's best to frog it and not waste the yarn. My Chevron became a headband, and now I wish I had frogged it instead. :)

Julie McC. said...

And I thought the magic color change only happened with red.

The scarf is lovely. It almost makes me wish I liked to knit lace. Almost.

vlb5757 said...

That is a beautiful shade of green on the link. It's may very most favorite color. I am a fall color person. The scarves are lovely. I am working on a shawl for my MIL right now and I am thinking I have made the wrong choice of yarns. I didn't pick cheap stuff either so I am trying to decide what to do with it.

Marjorie said...

I love lace for scarves, and I used to make a lot of them from mohair. Yours look very nice. But I find that knitting lace is very addictive, and it is the only reason I can explain my fascination with shawls. I've knitted enough shawls for my lifetime, but whenever I see a new pattern something makes me want to try it. (That, and having tons of stash yarn that is perfect for lace.)