Thursday, August 30, 2007
Sunday, August 26, 2007
South Park City is a restored 1880s town. Actually, it is a most unusual museum. You pay, you walk out the back door of the visitor's center, and there you are--
In town. Virtually alone. The entire town, some of the buildings original to the site, some moved in, is restored and fully furnished.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
As the rains rolled in over the continental divide, I wondered if they foretold the changing of the seasons. A brief walk in the woods brought proof:
Entrelac hat from Hip Knit Hats, to match (sort of) the entrelac scarf from the knitting class I took earlier this summer. I think I will block them, and perhaps gift them later this year. If I do block them, you may see them again. The scarf is Noro Silk Garden, and there is Cascade 220 in the hat, with some Noro and some Chroma from the Fibre Co. mixed in. I could keep them, but I find the Noro itchy.
I have started the Bubble Pullover from Knitting Nature. It is interesting, but the outsides of the pentagons take a long time, with 160 stitches in them. Then, as the decreases cut down the stitch count, it goes faster and faster, and before I know it, it is time to cast on and pick up stitches again. It is an odd way to knit a sweater.
Sunday, August 12, 2007
One camisole, knitted in mercerized cotton yarn on size 3 needles. It sounds tedious, but it actually only took three weeks, and the results are worth a little fight with unyeilding cotton yarn. I used GGH Scarlett, in a teal color. The pattern is in the book, Beyond Wool. It is blocked, and not in a sloppy way. The pattern specifically says not to block out the curve at the bottom of the lace panel. The recommended yarn is mercerized cotton, just a different brand (Jaeger Pure Cotton). I think Scarlett is quite similar. I started out with about 38" at the bottom and decreased down to what I thought would be 34" or so. The bottom band is knit on size 2 straights, and is all purl (I wonder why?), producing garter stitch. Then you decrease and knit on size 3s. I switched to circs, and had good gauge at first. Then it got smaller, and smaller anndd....
At one point, it was only 30" around. I frantically started increasing, but was a little late. I did add about an inch right before the armholes. I had my doubts, but shouldn't have. After blocking, it measured exactly as I wanted it. The 30" had stretched to 34", making the bust 35". I shouldn't have worried, but I still underestimate the amount of negative ease I need in a fitted garment.
I'm afraid it may grow a bit more, but I can usually block out too much width by stretching it longer. (Offside: The quilt it is resting on is an inherited one, made from old flour-sacking. No, I don't like the bright green fabric they used with the flour sack prints; it wasn't my choice.)
The other change, not a big one, was to knit it in the round to avoid purling. I see now, after wearing it, that the natural biasing of this yarn would have been limited by side seams. As it is, it tends to bias around the entire cami. I think washing and drying flat will help. However, if I were to make it again, I'd do the purling to get the benefit of side seams.