Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Knitted Gifties

Now, for those who say the more pictures the better, here they are, the photos I took of some of my knitted gifts before I wrapped them. First, the Clapotis, knitted on size 5 needles from Blue Heron Beaded Rayon:

I wonder, if you knit something from yarn that was a gift to you, and give the finished object to someone else, does it count as 'regifting'? :) I hope not, because I did have the pleasure of knitting the yarn, which I assume was the point of the gift. I just don't think I would wear a rayon scarf; I don't dress up that much since I quit working at an office.
Knitting with the rayon yarn was an education. I had no idea it was as heavy as it is. (Hence my concern that the Ultra Silk, with its silk and rayon content, will produce a heavy sweater.) This yarn is a bit difficult, in that it consists of very fine threads which catch on the needles. Also, it is a type of boucle, so there is no real stitch definition. I was a bit relieved about that, because I made a lot of mistakes knitting this. It was my "business trip" knit for the past several weeks, so it did not have my full attention. In spite of this, it made a nice scarf (I didn't knit the full width, so it is only 11" x 55"). Here's a better idea of the colors:


Then there's the ball band dishtowel. Great pattern, useful object. I knit this one on 8s instead of 7s, using the "& cream" yarns. The result drew up a lot when I washed and dried it, so that it is almost square, an odd shape for a towel. I just hope it looks 'masculine' enough for its recipient. :)

Here's several photos of the hat and scarf I knitted as a result of the Entrelac knitting class I took this summer. I just love these, but I can not abide the itchiness of the Silk Garden and Cascade 220 I used. They've got to go, and I hope my neighbor likes them. I had not posted any photos of them after I blocked the hat, so here's several:

The hat pattern is from the book, Hip Knit Hats. Great book, by the way. I had to double strand the yarn to get gauge, so I took advantage of that to mix the colors up a bit, trying to achieve an effect similar to the color changes in the scarf.
You can see below the way I striped the center of the scarf with some mill ends I got from The Fibre Co.'s booth at the Maryland Sheep and Wool show. I used a feather and fan stitch to match the ins and outs of the entrelac.

I find it surprising how many people visit this blog looking for entrelac knitting. I suppose they are looking for instructions? I can understand, because entrelac looks very complicated, and doesn't puzzle out easily. That's why I took the class. However, once I understood that it is simply modular knitting, and each little square is knitted separately and joined to the next one by decreases at the end of the rows, I realized it is simple--a bit tedious, but simple.
Lastly, I have a couple of photos of Christmas decorations from one of our business trips earlier this month. You see below a modern depiction of the three wise men:



What I see is the last little wise man. I'm sure it is meant that he is holding a vessel of frankincense, or myhr, or gold, but to me it looks like he is raising his glass in a toast.
Really, doesn't he look a bit tipsy, dawdling along behind the others?
It's almost as though his little camel is looking back at him with a smile.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Oh, you have been busy. I love the Clapotis and have silk from SAFF waiting to be knit into that very popular scarf. All you giftee's should be very happy, I hope!
I often wish that the temp would drop low enough for a knitted hat.

vlb5757 said...

I love the Clapotis. I was at a Monday night knitting group and one of the women there had one on. I commented on how much I liked it. So your picture just confirmed that I need to make one.

Kathy said...

Weelll...now I know what to do with that skein of Beaded Rayon that's been marinating in my stash for years!