Thursday, November 8, 2007

Mr. Greenjeans Sweater

I know you thought I've been a slacker knitter, just playing around with my knitting loom, or knitting tiny little sweaters or some such. In self-defense, I have an "eff oh" to show--my finished Mr. Greenjeans.

That is, it might be finished. I'm not totally sure. I would characterize this project with one word: Impulse. From beginning to end, my knitting of this sweater was completely driven by spur-of-the-moment, no thought involved, get-it-and-go impulsiveness.

I saw the pattern and decided to knit it. I realized the yarn I thought would work was the wrong gauge, and on finding no yarn I liked in the right gauge, I bought some I didn't like in the wrong gauge. (Somehow, it made sense at the time.) I impulsively asked for a knit-a-long and someone started one. At that point, there was no going back. I knit a long. I even joined the Ravelry group for Mr. Greenjeans.

I did read and comment a bit about the sleeves being too short for my liking, the body needing to be longer, and finding no real disagreement on those points, I impulsively lengthened the body by and inch or so and the sleeves by about 8 inches. Other than this discussion of lengths, my participation in the groups has been minimal.

3 comments:

vlb5757 said...

Very nice sweater. I have never finished the one sweater I did start. I ripped it out and have decided to knit a shawl and give it away. I just never loved the colors but maybe someone else will. I will start over again another time.

Patricia said...

It seems to me that you knit sweater in record time. Maybe I need to be more impulse!:)

Tammy said...

Your Greenjeans sweater looks very nice. I have seen very few (as in maybe one other) that turned out so well.

I'm approaching the end of this knit myself and the sour smell of failure is in the air for sure. I'm about to finish the second sleeve, but shy of a blocking miracle, I'm pretty sure I won't like the finished item. I love my yarn though so I may frog back to before the ribbing and go for a straight, simple cardigan.

Oh, and I agree... Oblique is gorgeous!