Thursday, November 1, 2007

Knitting Looms Ahead

I've been intrigued by looms since I found out about the loom-knitted scarfs that are selling for big bucks. When I had the chance, I bought a loom and instruction book with full-color, easy to follow illustrations. You can find Marla's products at frameknitting.com.



She knits most of her samples in dishcloth cotton. I thought that would be hard to work, but Marla explained that the opposing pegs on the board make it easy to keep your stitches loose. She let me try it, with some alpaca yarn she had on her board. It was easy, and I was sold. I was amused to see that she recommends, and sells, a nutpick for moving the yarn over the pegs.

After a little practice, I started on a 1 x 1 ribbed scarf. One by one ribbing, my nemesis. The moving the yarn back and forth between each stitch slows me down, my tension is affected by switching between knit and purl stitches, and I keep forgetting to slip a stitch for my selvedge. None of that is a problem with the loom--I can produce 1 x 1 ribbing with the same speed and ease as stockinette on needles. The edge is neat, the stitches even.
Not that I knit faster on the loom, I just mean that I knit ribbing faster. And more evenly. However, I do think that double-knitting is quicker on the loom, since there is no slipping of stitches. Since the gauge is fairly large (3 rows per inch), the double knitting goes quick!

I finished the first neckscarf, and immediately started a double-knit twisted stitch version using just Malabrigo. For the neckscarf, I mixed the Malabrigo with a white wool and nylon blend, trying to replicate the yarn combo in the Purl scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It is ok, but a bit thick, so I thought I'd try a lighter weight version with just the Malabrigo.
I think I like my loom. Next up, dishcloths and placemats, maybe?

3 comments:

stick said...

Hey! I finished the blanket, thank you again, really, for helping me out. Such a silly, yet terribly significant thing!

I'm about to start working on Hand Towels for Christmas gifts. I might be emailing you for pattern suggestions... I'm not sure which I'll like, though I'm going to start with the ballband and see how that goes.

sydney said...

I've been intrigued with the knitting looms, although not enough to buy one. I still have that little knitting machine I bought and haven't used. :)

Marjorie said...

That looks cool. I've never seen a knitting loom up close before. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my needles just yet, but I'll be interested to see how you do with it.