Not only did I have enough yarn to make the straps into shoulders, I had enough for small, short, cabled sleeves. I completely made the changes up, but I give credit to Grace, who also changed the straps in her version. She had the same idea I did originally, which was to carry the ribbing up the shoulders. When I read that the ribbing in her version made the shoulders roll up, almost like i-cord, I decided to go plain stockinette for the shoulders. I first made the switch from ribbing to stockinette while knitting the back.
My next challenge was to knit the shoulders for the front, but I thought about the sleeves while I did this. I very much wanted the cable on each sleeve. I had less than one skein of yarn left, though, and I know cables eat yarn. I knit the tiniest sleeves I could, centering the cable near the bottom edge. They were a fun, quick knit, but probably could have been a bit wider. My second choice would have been plain ribbed sleeves, but I'm glad I had enough yarn for the cabled ones.
Now let me explain the front. First, like Grace, I changed the reverse stockinette sides to stockinette, to match the back. Then I had to decide how to add shoulders. I still thought Grace's idea of ribbing going up the front was good. I decided to break the ribbing at the middle of the cable and move the 3 stitch cable out along the neckline. This produced an asymmetrical v-neck; somewhat unusual, but in keeping with the design of the sweater. I had to decrease for the neckline every row, and my choice of decreases may not have been the best. I got my technique book out, and tried to select the appropriate right or left leaning decrease, depending on whether I was decreasing a knit stitch or a purl stitch. I was never totally satisfied with the results, but just kept doggedly at it, sometimes redoing a particular decrease until I could tolerate the look. The line of decreases is not the best, but I don't think it is terribly noticeable. I kept a purl stitch next to the the 3 knit stitches to set off the edge a bit, and the purl stitch detracts a bit from the sloppy decreases.
I had to repeat the confusing decreasing for the sleeves, decreasing through the ribbing, but I was able to do better there after the practice on the front. Now the other problem--
The color, um that color. I can wear orange, luckily. Several years ago, I had my colors "done" and orange is one of the colors recommended for a brunette, olive-skinned 'autumn' like me. However, it is a bit bold for my taste, and I haven't owned very many orange shirts. I have a solution, one that I thought of on my own, and would probably have been advised against if I had asked--bleach. You see, Cotton-ease is a 50/50 cotton and acrylic blend. All the knitting boards will tell you don't expect to dye acrylic. Acrylic yarn is manufactured, not dyed. Or something like that. But you can bleach Cotton-ease. I have proof:
I might bleach the sweater later. I certainly expect the orange color to fade with just regular laundering. I'll just live with it a while before I decide. By the way, I've been dithering over what to do with three skeins of orange Cotton-ease for a couple of years now. That's why the swatch has a different stitch pattern. I was originally going to make the mitered tank from Interweave, but I decided against it. I thought the point at the bottom and the lack of sleeves would not be flattering.